Distributive Issues

This content is for Premium Plus and Premium members only.
Log In Register
Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Identification

This tactic focuses on what portion of the distribution each party gets, whether it is a business partnership or two children cutting a piece of cake. This can be a high drama situation in an intimate business context, especially family businesses, and unfortunately it is backward-looking as people may agree initially that it is fair, but after cogitation, they think otherwise.

Example

Consider the following example dialog: Sales Equity Holder: “I killed it with the MEGAHUGE account. It was 70% of revenue, so I should get a 70% profit distribution this year." Operations Manager: “That may be true, but you had a three-year dry spell and all along I provided cash flow with prudent asset allocation and reminded subscribers to re-up on the newsletter. That cash flow paid the rent for years while you were landing MEGAHUGE. I think you should get 30% and the other partners get the remaining 70% because the Financial Manager introduced you to MEGAHUGE at the Christmas party.”

Solution

The counter to this is to shift the focus to the entire operation, not just the slice. A cooperative environment works in business; competitive ones do not. Time shifting (look to now, future, or past, depending on your side) is the tactful way to handle these claims.

Search Tactics

Tactics Engine

Tactics Engine Main Page